Friday, August 15, 2014

Americana Exhibit, Soap Factory

    After work tonight I went to The Soap Factory in Minneapolis and saw their Americana exhibit. I knew it was closing soon, last day is Sunday when I plan on being at a Saints baseball game. It is not open Saturday, so it meant move it up to tonight. I got over on a bus to downtown Minneapolis and then took a cab across the river, but the cabbie seemed lost and I just decided to get out and walk the rest of the way, a few blocks. There was two art videos, a demolition derby and some cheerleaders. The latter was called 'Manifest destiny' and they chanted about the railroad connecting the world's two great oceans. Another art video was inside a one-room schoolhouse, kids reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. The art videos reminded me of a museum I saw on a Seattle vacation in 2007, it was at their university. A girl kept saying 'I can't stop'.
    There was also a display with numerous pencils stuck in the wall, the description said something about them coming from the Lindbergh home in Little Falls. I had less than an hour to see everything, but it was enough time. All I knew about this place was that they have a haunted house around Halloween where one must sign a waiver. I did say this to the employee there who said I didn't have to sign one for this exhibit.
   I liked getting some helpful advice about how to get back home after the exhibit. I was informed about the Stone Arch Bridge being open to pedestrians only, so I walked it across the river. I got plenty of pictures there, much like at The Soap Factory. I saw a familiar face give somebody a business card, and asked somebody 'Isn't that the former mayor, RT Rybak?' and it was confirmed by another pedestrian that it was, by saying 'RT'. I liked seeing the Mill Ruins Park, on the lower level closer to the river. There were two young women there, one was taking pictures of the other and she had multiple changes of clothes at the ready. I got one photo as I was leaving of one of them doing a handstand with her legs spread wide above her head. Once I got closer to a light rail stop I decided to go to Bobby and Steve's to get a little Godfather's Pizza as I hadn't eaten dinner yet. When I got home I knew it was just after 9pm, didn't feel like going to the comedy club by then as I wanted to do my after-work routine, like go through my emails.   

No comments:

Post a Comment