Saturday, August 30, 2014

Meredith Willson,Music Man

   I started the day in Mason City, IA. I toured the Frank Lloyd Wright hotel as well as the Music Man Square, dedicated to Meredith Willson. The docent, or tour guide, was quite knowledgeable on the first tour, of the FL Wright hotel. So now I have seen four of the buildings he designed, by going to see the two in Mason City I doubled the number I have seen. I learned plenty from the Music Man tour, like some of the other plays and songs he had done like 'Unsinkable Molly Brown'. Or even how he went to the performing arts school now known as Juilliard. I am still wearing the sticker from the tour. But I knew I needed to get back on the road, and it started with going to get fuel for me and the car at a Casey's in nearby Clear Lake since it is closer to I-35. After this it was all business, since I wanted to get the rental car, a little Chevrolet, back by 7pm. But it was not to be. I arrived back at my home around this time, but still needed time to do things like go to Super-America to fill up so I would be bringing it back full. It was also a good chance to drop off my bag and go to the bathroom. I was busy for the rest of the evening. First it meant going through postal mail and email. Then it meant going to get groceries. Finally I headed out to the comedy club, and I knew many of the performers as the Maryland native and Louisiana native were there. The nurse's aide was in the contest and won tonight. I got in free as I was on her list, but Maryland would have done the same for me I found out. After the show I liked hearing two songs on my car radio: 'Blitzkrieg Bop' by the Ramones, and 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. 'Bop' was a good driving song in my opinion, as it reminds me of seeing the movie 'National Lampoon's Vacation', a road movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment