Friday, August 29, 2014

Fort Custer Maze

    This morning I headed out of town for part of the weekend. I went to the Fort Custer Maze in Clear Lake, Iowa. I finished in just under 45 minutes, good time. It meant getting a stamp on your card at each of the 8 stations that spelled out the establishment's name. The last was the tower in the middle. I found the first three fairly quickly, the others were harder to find. But this was what I did close to my destination, there were other things I did today. On the road, I liked hearing 'Rocking in the free world' by Neil Young, 'City of New Orleans' by Arlo Guthrie, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, 'Guts over Fear' by Eminem, and 'Bad Romance' by Lady Gaga.
   My first stop, besides answering when nature calls, was in St. Peter, MN, as it was midday and I like the Godfather's Pizza in the middle of town in a former bank building. I had their lunch buffet, and got a photo of the buffet as they had hot dish, first time I had seen it at a pizza buffet before. I found out they take hot dish seriously in Minnesota, I had it before moving here but we just called it 'casserole'. Then it was on to New Ulm, MN, where I toured a former school building. It is now the home of an organization related to wildlife and river conservation, as it is in Riverside Park. I had wanted to see it during previous New Ulm visits, but like many museums it is not open after Labor Day. I was invited back for a festival happening in the park this weekend, not sure if I have the time though. This visit was a big deal, as I usually see way more than this in New Ulm but I was working on a tight schedule and it of course was not my final destination. I made it to Clear Lake around 5pm, and was pleased I had enough time to do the maze today so I didn't have to push it back a day. I got checked into my hotel in nearby Mason City, IA, and there was plenty of time to make it to the high school football game across town in the evening. There was a weather delay of 30 minutes as there was lightning in the area. Clear Lake thumped Mason City 44-7, and led 30-0 at the half. I liked hearing 'Fancy' by Iggy Azalea, 'Jump Around' by House of Pain, and 'A Good Feeling' by Flo Rida. I watched the game with some 'single serving friends', a man and his son, the boy was about 6. After the game I went to get a beer at a convenience store and some nuts, as I often like to have a drink while writing about my travels back in my hotel room. I had a Miller Lite, and kept looking into the mirror and liked the look of it well enough. So I decided to take a 'Selfie', though it took a few tries before finding one I liked, typical for these kinds of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment