Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Message, Grandmaster Flash

    I left work an hour early today as I was requested for filming some sketches. It was just over a mile away, across the bridge. While waiting for my turn I looked through my backpack as there were plenty of printed online articles in it. One of them was song lyrics, 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash. I printed it as Maytag, my hometown company, was in the lyrics. Two of my comedian friends knew it, the school bouncer and the barber with Texas kin. It was easier to wait when there were more people brought in. The big dog was in charge, and he said I followed stage direction well. I tried to learn something from the diner skits from last year. The Oklahoma native, red-faced comic, and self checkout were there, along with big dog's lady and Oklahoma's lady. The former is a high school science teacher, and I said even though it is rare, I am thankful for when I was able to be serious with him, as his dating advice was helpful: 'What else are you going to do, quit?' She had some good jokes, not too surprising as snappy comebacks are needed when married to a comedian. Another comic referred to her kids as 'Crotch fruit', I knew yet another comic who called them a more respectable term, her 'Cubs'. Oklahoma's lady made me feel like a clod as I couldn't remember her name. But I am reminded of how she has the same name as a former colleague. We had chips, soda pop, and pizza, the pizza was from Black Sheep. I had some of the hot salami, and meatball. The school bouncer had a football and threw it around a little, it was one of my photos from this event. I got a decent number, but the batteries crapped out on me. A train was stopped on the tracks as I was leaving, so I had to take the other bridge back across the river.
    At work, the political science guy was not in good spirits at first as he was ill. But then I said to my 'Work spouse' we got him back, as he was joking again. This time it was about mascots for food ad campaigns like the Domino's Pizza Noid, and Hamburglar from McDonald's.           

No comments:

Post a Comment