Sunday, December 7, 2014

Babes In Toyland Play

   I saw a play this afternoon, 'Babes In Toyland', at a middle school in Little Canada. It was from Rosetown Playhouse, I am not aware of them having their own venue for theater. I have also seen their plays at Como Park in St. Paul. I found the play within a play and checking the program to be annoying. I am hopeful to enjoy one of the movie versions, or the music group, even more. I did research what movie versions are available on video, and at a library I discovered the 1961 movie was checked out. So I will have to keep and eye peeled as to when it returns. This would be a Disney movie starring Ray Bolger, Annette Funicello and Tommy Sands. An earlier version is from 1934, starring Laurel and Hardy. The original version is an operetta from 1903 by Victor Herbert. I liked reading the Wikipedia page about it, especially when references were made to 'Wizard of Oz', as the play was done shortly after the success of 'Oz' and some of the same key players were in both. There were later movie versions, one was made for TV from 1986 and another was animated, from 1997. These do not appear to be as famous or popular as the others. I recall a visit to Pittsburgh in 2002 where I saw a historical marker in the downtown area about Victor Herbert that mentions the play. It was next to one about musician Stephen Foster. I liked how there were plenty of markers in Philadelphia as well, but Pennsylvania has a history rivaled by few.
    At Cheapo Records they had 2 CDs by the band of the same name, but not the one I wanted, called
'Fontanelle'. There are some other locations I can check, as the saying goes 'selection varies by store'.
I nearly got hit by a car while taking a walk tonight. When they stopped at the last second I decided to go behind them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment