Saturday, December 6, 2014

Devil Is All Around, Shovels And Rope

   While errand running I heard a song on my car radio on 89.3, 'Devil is all around' by Shovels and Rope. I am not that religious but sometimes I like hearing religious music. At first I wondered if it was by Lucinda Williams, who does have a song that mentions 'God' in the title. I do not know this music act well, this must be a fairly new act. The Youtube video depicts a man and woman. I understand the desperation is the theme of the song, this makes it more relatable. This is evident in lyrics like 'crawling on the ground on hands and knees with an apple in your mouth'. This is followed by 'how far you will go to make your peace with God'. The next notable line reminds me of Brandi Carlile, 'nobody knows it like you do'. It sounded like one of Brandi's lines from 'The Story'. And of course the desperation theme is shown in 'shell of a man I once was' and 'if I find forgiveness'.
    I ate at Applebee's in the afternoon, and thought of Gus's joke about it. I went to a comedy show in the evening. Perkins and Maryland were performing. It was great to see the school bouncer as well. I often introduce myself as being in their 'entourage' as I want them to introduce me to who they know. It was great to hear 'hi' from six women in unison when this happened. The headliner did some jokes I liked about relationships, and he spells his name the same way the 'Family Circus' cartoonist did.

No comments:

Post a Comment