Sunday, December 14, 2014

Laugh Rock RIP, After Homesman Movie

    I did two events today. Before midday I went to see the movie 'Homesman' in Roseville. This may not have been the best movie for me to see after losing two comedy comrades so recently. I knew it was a western, Tommy Lee Jones is in it playing a drifter helping the Hilary Swank character with taking three women back across the river to Iowa. I didn't know about the three women being mentally ill. So some scenes were harder to watch when I know mental health is something that many of us in the comedy community struggle with. There were some funny scenes in it, which helped some. And of course the music helped too. Good cast in it, including John Lithgow as a preacher along with James Spader and Meryl Streep in small roles. Notable was how I couldn't leave the theater at first when it was over, an employee already had the barrier up saying it was being cleaned. I like seeing the closing credits to see what music was performed and where the movie was filmed (in New Mexico, and Georgia). I was told 'Sorry' and was let out. Then I walked around the mall and eventually went to the food court to have some sushi, a California roll. It was the first time I had eaten sushi in a while.
   I did debate a little on if I should even write about the movie I saw today, when I know this blog is read a lot in the comedy community. Especially when I went to the Turf Club in St. Paul for the Laugh, Rock, RIP event honoring the late Gus Lynch. I signed up to share a story about Gus, and went onstage near the end. I said I didn't want to follow his wife, saying it would be a tough act to follow. I was on after his mom, another tough act to follow, but I did acknowledge this. I spoke of how he made some comments on a photo I posted on Facebook, then said he was just joshing me. I went on to say that I would have liked knowing him better, but his gruff and sometimes humbling presence and persona was hard for me to get past. But he is big dog's friend, and I knew he needed to be given a chance. I am aware of how I may be better known for documenting comedy than performing it, but I do like documenting it through my writing as well as photography. I was willing to write about Gus as I knew he was good at his craft, including the 'It's all bananas' joke which led to the nickname he was given here- self checkout. When I left the stage I had many people say they liked what I had to say. I liked knowing I helped in some way. The place was packed, I lost count of how many comedian friends I spoke with there. Some people I didn't expect to see there, since they now live out of state, but I liked seeing them just as much as anyone else. It was proof of how this event meant a lot to many.
    I am thankful I got more batteries before leaving for the event, as I did end up taking more pictures than typical for most days. There are 28, and I intend to put them in their own Facebook album. I only have 3 pictures of what was posted on walls in the funeral home, it seemed the most appropriate. I plan on including them in the album. When I have the time these will be posted, most likely in 2 days when I have a day off. Some from tonight were of the venue itself and not the event. I got a look at the basement part, it is called the 'Clown Lounge' and there was art on the wall of clowns. Eight of my pictures were from there, including one of famous clowns like Krusty from The Simpsons, Ronald McDonald, Bozo, and Bush-43. I hope I don't cause any jealousy from not getting pictures of everybody who shared stories tonight, it was mostly those I didn't have pictures of yet. And I usually knew them from doing comedy, with two main exceptions. This would be the musicians, along with
family- his wife, and parents. I had been there before for comedy and karaoke, and my first photo of the night was the dry erase board outside with mention of the event. Three of the final four were outside, I hadn't eaten so I told myself to get to the nearby McDonald's where I had a Filet-o-fish and fries. I ate them just outside the front door of the club. My final photo was big dog and the red-faced comic sharing the stage while telling jokes. I had pictures of both before, but they were separate pictures and I couldn't ignore what would be a great image to end my night there with. Normally I have my car radio on while driving, but after this event I left it off as I wanted to let the event speak for itself and avoid the chance of ruining it with the wrong kind of music or commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment