Monday, December 15, 2014

Doll Parts, Hole

   After the comedy show tonight, I found music to listen to at Youtube. This included 'Doll parts' by Hole. Besides the line 'Someday you will ache like I ache', I really like the theme of angst throughout the song. The Wikipedia page did say frontwoman Courtney Love wrote the song about Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, her husband. It is proving to be helpful to listen to at this time of loss in the comedy community. I don't have the album it is on, but I have a later album the band did, 'Celebrity skin'. I generally liked the songs on the later album more, and I had a college roommate tell me the likely reason why. I like Smashing Pumpkins, and their frontman, Billy Corgan, helped write many of the songs on it. This included the title song as well as 'Awful' (the song is anything but) and 'Malibu'. 
   At the comedy club tonight I did get stagetime, I was number 6 in the lineup. Many of the jokes were new and worked well. I changed one of them and it got more laughs, it was about the coworker that wanted to date me but I turned down the offer. I also did one about the Christmas card that had just arrived. I liked how I took the time to look at it before leaving for the club. I spoke with a man who said he was interested in trying comedy, and I was willing to give some advice about the craft.
   The MC did ones about 'it just felt right' and AARP. A comic who also has a rap alter ego did fake movie reviews. Rut-roh did one about Bob Seger. The rapper comic did one about buying a motorcycle. IED/IUD did one about sweatpants and crocs. I am unable to read my notes about Mr. Pibb. Laundry did one about roundabouts. The D.C. native did ones about Tinder, and hotels dot-com. School bouncer did ones about single-sex, hoodies, and the movie 'Blind Side'. Worthington did ones about a barbed wire tattoo man, and a parrot. Three times three did ones about 'wall-are-us', a
Coke and Pepsi poll, and a bouncy castle. The opera singer did one about cell phones, and as I recall was wearing a shirt with 2 wolverines on it. Maryland did ones about shopping on Amazon, Urkel, a dog on the patio, hockey fights, and Whole Foods. Perkins did ones about his mom's old bed, Tinder apps, aerospace and film, his grandma, somebody wearing the same sweater, and a reference to the movie 'Dallas Buyers Club'. The 'Extra murder' comic did ones about Yule Log, the 3 wise men, the little drummer boy, food trucks, donut burgers, lost keys, and a nativity scene. Bathtub comic did ones about a lava lamp, a bee costume for the dog, goggles, and Universal Studios. A visitor from Chicago that knows 'extra murder' did ones about Hobby Lobby, birth control, Chick-fil-A, crush its soul, and the pay gap. Louisiana was show closer, and did ones about butterfly kisses, Chipotle, Neosporin, and tree reproduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment