Thursday, November 26, 2015

Letter To President Clinton

   For this Thanksgiving, I mostly watched football on TV. But I also went through a box of college papers. There were a few other things in it besides that. It included a copy of a letter I sent to President Clinton dated January 7, 2001. It started off by saying I almost forgot to write before his term in office ended. I spoke of being thankful for college aid programs, and seeing his speech at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City when I was in college. He was running for re-election, in early 1996. I spoke of wanting to see his presidential library in Arkansas, but so far I still haven't. I did get a comment from Neck Tattoo, who asked if he wrote back and apologized for NAFTA and Glass Steagall? I said I didn't know who the latter was. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it was a law passed during the Depression. All I found from Clinton's term was mention of Gramm Leach Bliley, which I understand was a repeal of it. I have to know about GLB as I work in finance.
   Actually one of the three football games I listened to on the radio, Bears-Packers, the third game of the day. Couldn't get it on TV as the channel wouldn't scan, it was on NBC. But it worked fine to catch it on the radio. Bears won 17-13, and led at halftime 14-13. It was a much closer game than the other two. It was nice to see a 'Big Bang Theory' rerun, it was the season opening episode which I had missed when it was first aired.
   I liked getting out a little today. I called in a take-out order at Buca Di Beppo and was told it was more than an hour wait for it to be ready. That was just after 2pm. So I decided to walk up to the Super-America and got a bottle of Heineken beer to drink with the meal. I also got two Reese's peanut butter trees. It filled in the time well. I was noticed by one of the servers when I went to pick it up, somebody I knew from the comedy circuit but I haven't seen him at the clubs in a while. I know him as Worthington's friend. The two employees that helped me were interested in how I do comedy, and spoke of wanting to try it. After I left I could still hear one of them through the exit door, saying my name, which was kind of funny to me. I've understood this before, how doing comedy does impress some people. I also took the time to get something written for a contest, as the deadline is coming soon. I can get it typed at the library this weekend and then submit it. Before that I read through what I had wrote for each of the previous 8 years, as I don't read it too often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment