Wednesday, November 11, 2015

NWCT 12, Brooklyn Park

   This is one day where saying I live 'the manic life of a comedian' is true. There were 3 places where I got stage time. The first was filming a sketch, it was at NWCT 12 in Brooklyn Park. We got cookies and pizza in the break room. Then Maryland rode with me to the next place, a crowd work show in Minneapolis, it is hosted by Belarus. Then I told the story of this day at the third, where I was in somebody's selfie after the show. It made me feel good to get this recognition. I did a half day at work to make it possible, and when I got home I fell asleep in my easy chair before I did much else. It took a while to get to Brooklyn Park, as it was rush hour and was raining. I was in dire need of a bathroom, and stopped at a Wendy's once I arrived in the town, not far from the venue. I was in such a rush that I nearly had my pants down before opening the bathroom door, hopefully nobody saw this. At least nobody said anything. Get in and get out is my credo.
   I had a small role in the sketch, where we sang to the tune of 'John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt'. I helped with picking out some of the props in the back room, I liked seeing an American flag on a stand. Radio personality and Maryland had speaking parts in it, I was behind the 'collapsible walls' that were moved to the side once we started singing. I put on a hat and a sweater to blend in with the others. Since I happened to be going to the same place as Maryland after it was done, he rode with me. Somebody paid me for this favor, don't recall who, so I am counting it as a paid gig. I felt bad about the leaky roof in my car, but I hardly ever have people riding with me. We spoke at length, which was nice, hardly ever get the chance. Notable was how both of our moms seemed to be overprotective related to us wanting to get a driver license. At the crowd work show, I am thankful I had no interference during this set, unlike before. I even said so to Belarus, and sadly I had an annoying dude interrupt me and say 'that is comedy'. WRONG! if that is done at most shows, one gets arrested or least bounced. Obviously this dude doesn't know comedy, and I see people like this all the time who think they do. I think this second show was where one couple was becoming a big part of the show, as it was mentioned how they were together but they weren't. something like both were divorced before they met, and because of it didn't want to get married. I had heard of this arrangement before, I think my college roommate spoke of something similar after his dad was widowed. there would be a cutback in social security benefits if they got married.

No comments:

Post a Comment