Sunday, May 22, 2016

candy apple grey, husker du

this weekend I saw the play 'complicated fun' and it reminded me of having CDs for both Husker Du and the Replacements. I recall moving to Minnesota in 2004 and listening to drive-105, a radio station that was alternative at the time. it was the first that I think I heard both twin city bands, and it led me to get some of their CDs. with Husker Du it was 'candy apple grey', their first CD with a major label, warner brothers, released in 1986. the song of theirs I knew had the most impact was 'sorry somehow'. I recall saying how had I heard it years earlier it might have taken less time to come to terms with a disastrous relationship in high school and college. the song said many of the things I was thinking and wanted to say. some of the lyrics were profound, like 'life too can cut you and I've cut you out of mine' and 'it's not my fault and you're not getting one from me'- about expecting an apology. 'too far down' was another one with impact, the next track. lyrics profound in this one include 'if it was so easy to be happy, why am I so down?' and 'let someone else be happy by setting my own self free' and 'you don't want the emotion, because the taste it leaves is for real'. I can't forget an earlier track, 'don't want to know if you are lonely'. the lyrics I liked here include 'from the beginning we both knew it wouldn't last'. though even better is the final lines, 'phone is ringing and the clock says 4am, if it's your friends well I don't want to hear from them, please leave your number and a message at the tone, or you can just go on and leave me alone'. I know one of the band members, Bob Mould, has a star at first avenue in Minneapolis, close to Prince's, so it has been shown on the news often whenever the media is at this venue.
   even though it was a sunday, there was plenty to do. I did the dishes in the morning, and then got an oil change done on my car. once this was done I had a sandwich at subway and got some dish soap at family dollar. by then I knew I needed to get on my way to the comedy venue, the donut party. many of the jokes in my set were callbacks to what other comics had said. this included one that made me think of a surgeon general. others were about nannies, and lyndon Johnson. another was inspired by what I heard at the saints game last night, the debate about great basketball players. or how I haven't seen 'weekend at Bernie's'.
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment