Monday, May 23, 2016

pleased to meet me, replacements

well I have written about husker du after seeing the play 'complicated fun', so now it is time for the replacements. I have their CD 'pleased to meet me', acquired after hearing some of the songs on drive-105 here in the twin cities when it was still alternative. it was released in 1987, through sire records. the standouts for me was 'alex chilton', and 'can't hardly wait'. I think it is funny on some level that alex chilton himself performs with the band on this CD, but on a different song, in fact the latter one. 'wait' was memorable to me as it was quoted at a funeral, an office colleague that had died of cancer in 2008. it was unnerving as he wasn't much older than me. and this event led me to start performing. the imagery is good in it, like starting off with 'write you a letter'. though I do like 'alex chilton' more, it mentions Memphis often and that helps as I am reminded of visiting that city when my college roommate lived there. it is faster, and more upbeat as well. according to Wikipedia, IOU was inspired by iggy pop, and 'the ledge' was banned by MTV as it was about suicide. 'red red wine' made me think of UB40, but it is not the same song at all. I think I like the husker du CD  more, but this one is still fine.
   there was a dust-up about a comedy venue that may have to move, I signed a petition about it and I am one of three thousand that has so far. it went fine performing tonight, I liked hearing songs like 'the gambler' and 'wagon wheel' so I spoke of both in my set. many of the others were jokes I had done the previous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment