Sunday, May 29, 2016

one last purple game

I went to the st. paul saints baseball game tonight, and the theme was 'one last purple game' honoring prince. red corvettes were on the warning track before the game began, and his music was played throughout the game and during the fireworks show as well. but I recognized how it wasn't full songs during the fireworks show. I did like hearing part of 'sign of the times'. the final song during fireworks was 'purple rain'. purple was everywhere during this game, the pigs behind the stadium were painted this color. the balloons during the karaoke segment. the saints players uniforms, and there were symbols instead of uniform numbers. the jerseys were auctioned off. one of the employees at the information desk had an outfit on like prince was wearing in 'purple rain'. and then there was the salted nut roll candy bars after the game as one is leaving. I opened it and noticed it was purple in the center. the wrapper had a special label on it saying 'from one Minnesota icon to another'.
  it was a food truck day, I got in line early and for this reason didn't have to wait long. I got a hot dog with cheese and bacon bits, the side item was tater tots. the saints beat the Kansas city T-bones 4-1. the starting pitcher had a shutout entering the 9th, and it was in doubt as to if he would get the complete game but he did. I noticed a pitcher was warming up in the bullpen if needed. the manager came out to the mound but left his starter in, many fans liked the confidence he had in his pitcher.
   after having oatmeal this morning, I returned the rental car. first I filled up the gas tank of course. the final song I heard while returning it was 'nothing compares to you', the version by chris cornell, ex-frontman for soundgarden. after checking Wikipedia, it is hard to tell if 'ex' is correct. there is mention of his solo career but also about the band soundgarden re-uniting. either way, I did like hearing the song. for a while I only knew it as a sinead O'Connor song, but later found out prince wrote it.
  dad called while I was still at the saints game, I didn't notice the call until the game ended. I made the callback after I got home, taking the bus. it was nice seeing the union depot near the saints stadium before the game, more artwork like murals had been added. naturally I had to go see the Snoopy statue, near the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment