Tuesday, May 31, 2016

get down, jess kent

recently I had written about how I liked hearing a song that was in a target commercial, it is 'get down' by jess kent. not much online about her, born in great Britain and moved to Australia when she was 11. it may just be a half-minute commercial, but the song is catchy and I liked what I heard enough to find the full song on youtube. I liked the original video that I found, as it had plenty of
little animated images depicting the song lyrics, like monkeys covering eyes when they get to 'oh my gosh'. one line appears to be 'don't got a lot of dutch' which I understand to mean 'money' based on the images at that point in the song. I had to check more than one listing when looking for lyrics, some of them had a racial slur in it but I had to listen more closely to the song and understood they were singing 'knickers' as in a term for 'underwear' that isn't widely used in the USA. further searches led to mention of a song by chumbawamba, called 'all fur coat, no knickers'. the meaning I found for this term was- basically- 'superficially positive appearance'. a synonym given on 'wiki' was 'beauty is only skin deep'. so I liked learning something from it. but then again, I learn when I go to the comedy clubs as well since people are talking about real life. music and comedy have some important things in common. another line I respond to well is 'still alive and I don't know how'. but I really like the chorus, the 'hook'. no surprise there. 'sitting, watching, waiting, wishing'. it looks like the song was released late last year, so it had been out there somewhere for a little while, not necessarily in the USA, before being used in the commercial. as for the mis-heard lyrics, this is not a new thing. it happened with 'yellow ledbetter' by pearl jam, and there is no requirement for accuracy to post something online. although I take a lot of care to research things before I post them.
   I did perform at the comedy venue tonight, I accepted a challenge to tell a joke about an American war as I majored I  history. others were about being in Mankato, the burlesque show, and the softball game on memorial day.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment