Saturday, May 28, 2016

coat of many colors, dolly parton

I went to Le Sueur and toured the Mayo home today. After that I went across the street and had the lunch buffet at the pizza ranch. as I was leaving I heard the song 'coat of many colors' by dolly parton. I don't know if I had heard the song before, but it made me pause so it had an impact on me. even though it was from a while back, the 1970s according to online searches. I had heard of the show 'joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat'. it was even part of a children's sermon at church one time.
   I am thankful I got this historic site crossed off my list. I had meant to tour it before but had passed by the turnoff every time on the way to new ulm for Oktoberfest. I liked getting some souvenirs at the home, some postcards and greeting cards. the greeting cards had food company cartoon characters on them, as the founder of the green giant company lived there after the mayo family left for Rochester. this included the Pillsbury doughboy, the trix rabbit, and the green giant. after this I went farther south, to Mankato, and found the Dakota war memorial, across the street from the library. as a history major I needed to see it. I also took a walk next to the Minnesota river and saw '99 solutions' spray-painted, answering the jay-z song '99 problems'. I liked how the trek didn't take all that long, as I was back in the twin cities in time to see the 6pm news. I got started earlier than some weekends, by picking up a rental car. then it was on to the post office to pick up the e-bay orders there. it included the Canadian days buttons I had ordered, along with a movie poster. it was 'ship of souls' from 1925, based on a book by emerson hough. after I got back into town, I got a frame for it. considering what I paid for it, getting a frame made perfect sense as it's called 'protecting my investment'.
   my playlist for the drive today was 2 CDs, the 'twister' movie soundtrack, and 'country grammar' by nelly. the latter was just acquired at a family dollar. as a baseball fan I liked 'batter up' on the latter CD. The songs by Van Halen and the Goo Goo Dolls was likely why I bought the former. There was an Amoeba sticker on it, so it must have been bought on my vacation to San Francisco in 2004. I did see the movie at theaters, in Iowa City just weeks after I had graduated from college.
  Although I've noticed I still listen to the music on the radio some even when I bring CDs. so besides the Dolly Parton song, ones I heard include 'I will always love you' by whitney Houston, 'let her cry' by hootie and the blowfish, 'paper planes' by MIA, and 'poker face' by lady gaga. when I got back I heard a catchy song in a target commercial again, so I had to look it up. it was 'get down' by jess kent. I couldn't find much about her, just something about a contest in Australia. I wiped away a tear when I heard Whitney's song, why i'm not sure, but I still haven't seen the movie it was in, 'the bodyguard'. I must have been thinking of some friends, even if I hadn't said those words to their face. they know who they are.
   I did eat at the Chicago hot dog place in the evening. then it was on to oakdale and the Hy-Vee grocery store, as I wanted to use the gift card that Dad had given me for my birthday. it probably took longer than typical when I am used to a different store, but I didn't have anything else planned for the night so it didn't matter. there is under four dollars left on the card, started with $25. I got plenty of pictures for me and for Dad, though I cut back on the ones inside after I noticed I was on camera when I was getting some in the entryway. I didn't want to get yelled at, being asked 'what are you doing?' as this had happened before. when I was driving home I had to stop at a Walgreen to check my order, and thankfully the card and letter from Dad was there. I did move the groceries to the feet part of the back seat instead of the butt part as they weren't going to move around as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment