Saturday, May 21, 2016

lonely teardrops, jackie wilson

this weekend I heard 'lonely teardrops' by Jackie Wilson on my car radio. naturally the first thing I will think of is hearing this song in the movie 'la bamba'. this did prompt me to find the song om youtube, and to look up the Wikipedia article. it was tough to read the story of this musician there. he died in 1984, and was just 49. although this has happened to other performers as well. I was reminded also of another song of his being in a movie, as 'higher and higher' was in 'ghostbusters 2'. I also read with interest how he was from Detroit, and did work with berry gordy early in his career. of course gordy later founded Motown records.
   I went to an estate sale this afternoon, as I kept seeing signs for it all around my neighborhood. when I arrived I said my interest was in books, especially baseball and history. I walked away with three items, and it cost just $2.10. I liked finding some glossy photos of leading hitters in the American league, copyright 1990. it was Kirby puckett, ruben sierra, fred McGriff, and rickey Henderson. these four went into a binder with other baseball photos. I found one book, from the 'chicken soup' series, this one was for the sports fan's soul. and the third item was a CD case, as I wanted to replace a cracked one. it was a CD-ROM from GE Medical Systems. after this I went home and went through a box of buttons I had bought at an auction in 2012. I told myself I should donate them to goodwill since I have no use for most of them. and that is what I did, getting them into five plastic shopping bags, and then into a shoebox. I have about 50 left that I really wanted, after starting off with hundreds.
   in the evening I went to my first st. paul saints baseball game of the season, the saints beat gary 18-8. it was star wars night. the saints scored in five of the first six innings. looks like there are a few changes from last season at the stadium, which should be expected of course. it was annoying to hear somebody want to say 'Jordan is better than curry' while in the bathroom after the game had ended. I picked up a quarter when I was leaving, surprised it stayed in my row for a while. I had a hot dog, chips and bottled water at this game. I arrived just before the national anthem was played, and I prefer to arrive even earlier than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment