Friday, May 20, 2016

complicated fun play

tonight I saw the play 'complicated fun' at the history theater in downtown st. paul. it is about the Minneapolis music scene in the 1980s, especially the venue known as first avenue. prince is mentioned often, along with some of his songs, but none of them are played by the 'house band'. a big theme of the play seemed to be the 'rivalry' between fans of husker du and the replacements. I am thankful I saw it, as expected I learned something from it. I generally go to one play a season  at this venue. I found it to be annoying during intermission when somebody saw the painting of prince out in the hall and said 'the last line is no longer accurate' as he passed a month ago. I said to the lady how the captions say the painting was done in 2007. when asked if anyone had a sharpie marker to change it, I said 'that is vandalism'.
    after the play I did go over to a comedy venue but arrived after the show started. it was still worth it to make an appearance though as I liked seeing the big dog there. we were able to joke around, and talk some business as well. he can be hard to find at times so I make the most of any chance I have to speak with this friend from the comedy circuit.
   I also thought of Canada more than once today. I ordered some more Canadian days buttons from e-bay, and got another Canadian penny as change added to my collection as I didn't have that year yet. due to big dog's schedule I may have to change when I go to Winnipeg. but I don't mind having to move that visit back a few months until after labor day as summer will be busy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment