Sunday, December 29, 2019

hockey movie sequel

I watched disc two from the 'double feature' on loan from the library this afternoon, it was 'goon- last of the enforcers'. many of the original cast members were in it, I recognized seann William scott as well as live Schreiber from before. as well as the 'hockey hooligan', the main character's friend from back home. the 'villain' in this movie was a rival hockey player that was actually the boss's son. this villain was played by wyatt Russell, and I noticed in the closing credits that there was a 'thank you' to kurt Russell. wyatt is the son of kurt, and goldie hawn. found his Wikipedia article which said he had played some pro hockey, but his career was cut short by injury. some of the teams listed are pro more than likely, although the Chicago steel is actually a junior-A developmental team, below college level. I will admit that I didn't like this one as much as the first. there are likely various reasons as to why. one of them was how 'the goon' quit hockey due to injury and worked for an insurance company for a while. also how one of the journalists from a TV show about hockey was trying too hard to be funny. the movie was a little too predictable for me. I knew full well there would be no movie if it just showed him working a 'real job', and no surprise he had the urge to return to playing hockey. much like the first, the Scottish patriotic song 'Scotland the brave' is in it, but is not listed in the closing credits. it looks like it was filmed in some different hockey arenas than the first one, mostly in Ontario, including Toronto apparently. so even though it was about a team from Halifax, nova scotia, I am not sure how much was actually filmed in this city. but where it is filmed is not a big deal to me, even though I like knowing where movies are filmed. in the special features the 'making of' segment was just one segment, and much shorter this time, which I liked.
  of course Saturday is about errand running, and it meant going to check my post office box. one order was waiting there. and I had a few questions that I wanted answered at a credit union where I got my car loan. after watching the DVD I went to get groceries, and after watching the 6pm news I was on my way again, to Burnsville to see a play. it was in the church basement ladies series, this one is called 'hark, the basement ladies sing'. at first I was afraid I had seen this one already, knowing the setting was the year 1960. but the one I had seen with a Christmas theme was called 'away in a basement' so it wasn't the same play. seeing 'bulletin boards on rollers' from sunday school with maps of the holy land on it was evidence that it wasn't the same. along with one character being stationed in germany with the military and having known musician elvis Presley. this led to them getting some elvis songs in it. of course there was still some of the typical Christmas songs in it, as the title suggests. I also noticed the back cover of the program looked like a red church hymnal. I have seen most of the plays in this series, I think this one is the 8th. this is just the second I have seen in Burnsville. I was familiar with how the Plymouth venue went 'into transition', where I had seen some, but I don't mind the change of venue at all. I think there is just one play in the series that I haven'r seen yet.
   on the way back from the play I picked up a few items at a Hy-Vee, grocery items that I couldn't find at aldi. I found a pen at the customer service counter as I was leaving and said I wanted to write down a song I had just heard on my car radio. it was introduced as 'somebody from Clarksville, iowa', my native state. when I got home I found out it was Maddie poppe, and the song was 'not losing you', Wikipedia said she was an American idol winner. after the 10pm news I went to sing karaoke, and did two songs. it was 'guess things happen that way' by johnny cash, and 'don't you forget about me' by simple minds. I was the show closer, and the one I had walked home got me a chair to sit at their booth up front. eventually I was a 'seat filler' when she went to sing so we switched places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment