Friday, December 27, 2019

iowa in holiday bowl

after work, I found a paper at Walgreen to confirm I would need to go to a bar to watch the holiday bowl, the game the iowa hawkeyes are playing in, against the USC Trojans. iowa won 49-24, it was 28-17 at the half. this is the same bar I went to when I saw the game against Illinois last month. but I ordered something different this time- the French dip sandwich instead of the reuben. it will be memorable for having way more people there to watch the game, but this can be expected when it is a bowl game. I was at a table by myself, figuring nobody would want be occupying a big booth. I was near a group that was family members, one of them was having fun with another one by giving a 'thumbs down' in reference to football player gale sayers. and at one point two of them were talking about tiger woods, not sure why. I said 'we need to get them back to the football game, they are talking about golf'. it is a reminder of why I find I hard at times to watch games with others. one lady in the group was complaining about the hawkeyes having a few bad plays, like an incomplete pass. even though iowa never trailed in this game. the same one who said 'ferentz (the iowa coach) is getting old, who will replace him?' why not live in the moment and just enjoy how they won this game? this coach will be allowed to stay there as long as he wants. he has already been there 21 seasons and they have been doing fine, making it to a bowl game most seasons. but some people are never satisfied. I made sure to be wearing the bowl game items I had, a shirt and a button.
  after the game i went to sing karaoke, and did 'beverly hills' by weezer. the karaoke jockey encouraged me to stay and sing another song, but I said I needed to go because I was tired and was at a loss in terms of what else I would sing.
    at work it was fairly slow on call volume, although it is a reminder of how I still goof related to the the 'wrap-up' button on calls, staying in it for too long. I was walking past on office occupied by somebody in management and followed up with our conversation from last week. I said I found a way to make my cube more mine, by naming it 'sector 7-g', much like many other work stations I have had. then I think we spoke for about 20 minutes about various subjects, including places to visit in Minnesota. it was prompted by getting an 'explore MN' magazine from the library two floors above us. this was red wing, and winona. but I don't travel much this time of year, it will have to wait until the warmer months.




No comments:

Post a Comment