Sunday, December 8, 2019

in the good old summertime movie

this morning I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library, 'in the good old summertime'. it claims to have a setting in Chicago, but when most of the movie takes place indoors it could have been anywhere. I recognized judy garland in it. she was the one that wanted a sales job in a musical instrument shop and got it, after being able to sell a harp. I liked how there was mention in an intro on the special features about where the movie got its inspiration. first came a version starring jimmy stewart, called 'the shop around the corner', then this one, and eventually 'you've got mail' starring tom hanks. I also liked seeing some 'Chicago shorts' which where 'travel talks' by jim Fitzpatrick. although they were from a while back, I still liked seeing them. since I recognized many of the places shown, such as the museums and soldier field. as for the movie itself, yes it is funny how two people can butt heads in person and hit it off when writing to each other anonymously. I also liked seeing buster Keaton in it, the vaudeville performer. it said this was his last movie.
   I went to an audition in uptown Minneapolis this afternoon, at a venue I have been to many times before. it was for a sketch show, and I knew two of the producers. it didn't take long, and I picked up some show announcement cards for my souvenir binder. after it I tried to go to a target, but I left the place disgusted. the item I wanted was sold out, plastic sheets or pages for baseball cards. I was going to buy a few other things, since I found some charlie brown items, but all of the cashier lines were too long, including self checkout. the lesson learned here seems to be don't go there this time of year. I at one point said to myself 'nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded' like yogi berra. 'the simpsons' was not on tonight, the miss universe pageant was on instead. I switched it over to something else but then fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment