Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hockey at Schulz Arena

I had the day off from work to do my annual visit to the state capitol and meet my representatives. I like seeing all of the history on display there, and found another item- how there is what was once called a rathskeller. But the name was changed due to World War I, since it was too German. Also made it to get an oil change for my car after it, and tried to watch 'Millionaire' and 'Jeopardy' but fell asleep and missed some of both, though not much.
    In many ways, the notable event of the day has to be attending a high school hockey game at Charles Schulz Highland Arena in St. Paul, named for the 'Charlie Brown and Snoopy' creator. I am a big Charlie Brown fan, likely should have made it much earlier as I have plenty of Charlie Brown merchandise. But the most important thing is I finally made it there. I had seen before how there was a Snoopy statue inside, one of many in St. Paul. It was way closer to get to this arena, but it took longer than when I was at the Charlie Brown museum in Santa Rosa,CA, where he had his studio. It was part of my vacation in San Francisco in 2004, decided to rent a car to drive the 50 miles to it.
   Ah yes, the game itself. Cretin-Derham Hall, a well-known sports powerhouse, beat Eastridge 4-1. It was simple on how they scored some of their goals, the shooter got ahead of the defenders. It was 2-0 at the first intermission, 3-1 at the second. One of the goals was short-handed, few penalties. A Cretin player had a hat trick, so some hats were thrown onto the ice, along with cobs of corn, apparently his nickname. I knew I was running out of time this season to see an event there, as it was the beginning of the state's post-season qualifying tournament. Sometimes I just get too busy and it helps to make to-do lists to remind me of what I want to get done. A conversation at the Aeros game less than 2 weeks ago reminded me of how it was on my list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment