Friday, February 4, 2011

What Corazon Means

I thought of a family friend tonight while washing dishes, since I was washing a mug he gave me when I graduated from college and we went to the same university. Shared this on facebook, he just became a state rep in Iowa.
     When I stopped at a Walgreen tonight to get some ibuprofen for lower back pain I heard the song 'Magic' by America. It still makes me think of my first visit to St. Louis when I was a kid, seeing highlights of the World Series win in the 'sud series'. Since we were on the field getting a stadium tour and the song was playing along with highlights of the Series. It was what made me a fan of the team. And I still have some artwork inspired by it.
   So I got home and found the song on youtube, odd how the version I chose had Spanish subtitles. And I kept seeing 'corazon'- for heart. It of course made me think of Corazon Aquino, former president of the Philippines. I took French in high school, I know the word in that language is 'coeur'. Knowing one language does help with understanding another, if studied well enough. Also looked up 'lugar', meaning 'place'. It made me think of a comedian friend who has a joke where he is called 'Lugar' by the coach.
   I decided to help a friend who wanted more research on a joke he just did this week about the Hamilton-Burr duel, I gladly did it. Since I majored in history and the subject still very much interests me. And it led to me learning something, I had known little about it aside from how Hamilton was killed in it and it took place near what is now the football stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands. There was mention of it again after the shooting involving then-VP Cheney, since both shootings involved VP's. Unfortunately some history courses were survey courses, didn't always learn much about some events. But with the Civil War I told myself there was no excuse to continue to be under-read about it, so I found some books about the war and of  course Lincoln himself. It is written about often to this day, so no problem finding books about it.
    Tonight I made visit number 12 to the nearby Taco Bell to use up another coupon. First time in 3 weeks. But at my current pace I just need to average 2 coupons per month until June, when they expire, to use all 20 of them up. I did get a receipt this time, last time I didn't. Most times I do get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment