Monday, August 22, 2011

50 Plymouth

Before my dad went back to the airport I asked that the story be shared on a few things I often heard about as a kid, including about the '50 Plymouth' so I wouldn't have to ask again. It was one of four that I wrote down. Others were about am ex threatening my great-grandpa after he married someone else, a distant relative in a mental hospital, and 'co-op, whee!' Had planned on getting some cassette tapes for it, but got too busy to get to a store to buy some. Writing it down worked fine, didn't take all that long. 
   Went to a church service downtown, largely since I wanted to see the building which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Plenty of archival photos on display in the fellowship hall. A woman in the pew in front us spoke to us for a while, she had handled the offering plates, then the fill-in pastor spoke to us as well. The photos reminded me of many places downtown to show to Dad, like Mickey's Diner, along with where many of the Charlie Brown and Snoopy statues are. We ate sandwiches at the Erbert Gerbert, explained how there were funny names for the sandwiches there.
   We also made it to the state's museum, and saw some of the same exhibits we had seen when he wanted to go there 2 years earlier but I didn't mind at all. This included the '150' exhibit, a favorite of mine. Good thing I'm seeing it again as it's closing in January. He questioned why it was called the 'greatest generation' in another exhibit, I said it was the title of a Tom Brokaw book.
    After seeing him off at the airport, I did have a date, 'The Simpsons' was on as I arrived, an episode with a powerful message about parenting can sometimes go from one extreme to another. Then we went to eat, first to Olive Garden but the wait for a table was too long, so we went to Noodles and Company instead. I had spaghetti and meatballs as it was on my mind how I didn't have toasted ravioli when I was in St. Louis recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment