Thursday, August 18, 2011

Roundtable and Lockout

Liked being part of a roundtable at work today, it was back to back meetings as part of 'Celebrate You' week. Of course it's not over yet, we have another day to go. The meeting was in a room I hadn'r seen much of before, on the executive side. The seats were really comfortable, and it was nice to be asked to give opinions about what is going on in our department. Also to ask questions. I asked if there were plans to grow the business, get more clients, since it hasn't been too busy where I am specifically.
    I was trying to get ready for my dad's visit this weekend, it meant doing laundry. I ventured out to do this after watching 'Big Bang Theory', picked up a dinner at a convenience store first. Arrived at the laundromat just before 8pm, got the 2 loads in and then went back to my car to get out a drink after getting some Famous Amos cookies out of the vending machine. I was locked out, couldn't get back in. The sign said 'last wash 8pm, no exceptions', but didn't say the door locks up at that time. Tried calling the police non-emergency line, they were of no help. Went across the street to a restaurant, was told about a cleaning crew being there later. Waited until 11pm, to no avail. Walked up and down the block while waiting, good exercise. Met some interesting people, one of them claimed he had a cellphone for sale for bus fare. I'm thinking it was likely stolen, said I already had one. Another was coming from a nearby bar and claimed he could call the owner to get it open, but didn't. Then there was the barflies at the restaurant. One of them had a Chicago Bears jersey on, #54 Brian Urlacher, and suggested that my lady friend do the laundry for me. Another kept talking about the ownership changes there, I was getting bored and impatient and kept saying 'yeah, yeah.' Still another was on the front stoop of a house and saw me walking, first he was having a beer then smoking. Offered me a drag, I said I don't smoke. Made a reference to dating somebody, he wanted to ask about them, 'who are they?' I said they lived in another town, and they do. Didn't want to be all that specific. Eventually decided that my best bet was to get there right at 6am when they open, so I went home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment