Thursday, December 8, 2011

City By The Lake

I like how I'm not falling victim to a term I coined, the 'Bear Bryant Syndrome'. I read it in a sports magazine how every Alabama football coach gets fired because he isn't Bear Bryant. Thankfully this isn't happening in my own life, because I'm sure most people would hate knowing they can't get a fair shake since they replaced a successful person, dare I say 'legend' when that term is used way too often. I thought of this in particular when I go into work today to do the holiday dinner, and the 'facility czar' wants to eat with me, the same man who was part of the railroad yard tour this week. He replaced a popular woman, and since he took over I don't think I've mentioned his forerunner. He's an ex-New Yorker that has a Jets lanyard at the office. I had spoken of my visits to NYC, though I think he hasn't lived there in a while.
   Some would think it was odd how I go into work on my day off for the dinner, but it's better food than what I normally eat, like soup for lunch or TV dinners in the evening. I needed to get out and do things anyway after doing more sorting in boxes I hadn't looked at in a while. I have freed up 2 copy paper boxes by moving things around, I think I just became more efficient on how I used the space. And I used the paper shredder to get rid of some of it. Though one thing may not have been good at all, my TV antenna bent when I was doing all of this so I may have to replace it.
   I got things going on renewing my passport today by completing the form and getting the necessary photos. When I want copies of the forms I am sending in, I realized how it was best to wait a day to send it, especially since I didn't have much time left before the end of the day. Since it is being sent to a PO box, I think couriers besides the Postal Service may not be a good fit since I want to be able to track it and some of those don't send to PO boxes.
    This evening I listened to some music on Youtube, starting with 'Tonight Tonight' by Smashing Pumpkins, moving onto 'Bad Reputation' by Freedy Johnston. Then I thought of 'This Town' by OAR, and found a live version from Chicago. Finally it was 'Sing' by Travis, a reminder of living in suburban Chicago as it was a song i heard often in the summer of 2001 when I was doing a big cleanup that I called 'Camp Aja' since it was inspired by my former boss and mentor being away in India on business for a while. It is proof of how I still very much have an affinity for Chicago, especially when the first song is by a group from that city and one lyric in the song refers to it, 'The City By the Lake'. There will likely always be a special place in my heart for what Carl Sandburg called the 'City of Big Shoulders'. In addition, I saw the band Travis in concert when I as living there, in 2003 as I recall, in a theater on the North Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment