Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gershwin Play

Went to see the Gershwin play in the evening in downtown St. Paul. I wanted to be well-prepared for it, so it meant not just a good outfit but also getting a haircut, it had been a while. A long wait at the place, Sport Clips, but they gave me a few dollars off for waiting. It was hard to find a place to eat since it was Saturday evening, and many sit-down restaurants had a long wait for a table. So I finally went to a Chicago-themed place close to where I do my laundry, makes a world of difference when we didn't have to wait to get a table and got to order right away and get food right away. We made it to the theater with about 5 minutes to spare after getting parked nearby. I like plays with music in them, and this had plenty of it. The narrator was an actor playing Gershwin, so he was telling his own story. So in many ways it reminded me of seeing the play about Clarence Darrow earlier this year, at the same venue, Park Square Theater. Liked hearing so many different instruments onstage, like the string bass and the drummer especially. The suits and hats reminded me of the Blues Brothers, as well as Leonard Cohen. Surprised to hear them playing the 'Flintstones' theme song, but it must have been influenced by Gershwin somehow. Also liked mention of Cole Porter, he was another musician from this era I was familiar with.
    Already did the dishes and took out the trash and recycle when I went out to do the laundry. So all I have left for errand running this weekend is grocery shopping, so I'm in good shape.  

No comments:

Post a Comment