Monday, December 26, 2011

Sherwood Anderson

I like how I'm willing to build upon my knowledge wherever possible. Before sending magazines to recycle I noticed a picture of a historical marker on the cover of one. It was about Sherwood Anderson, a writer, whixh makes sense when it was from a writer magazine. The marker is in his native Ohio, and I did read the Wikipedia article I found which said he influenced Hemingway and Faulkner. Good or bad, like many other writer biographies it was hard to read some of it. But I already know how many writers have had rough lives, and this is often what makes their writings better, by pouring their soul into their craft. In Anderson's case, he abandoned his wife and kids apparently and ran off with somebody else. If I ever end up in this part of Ohio, it would be nice to find the marker. I have been to the biggest cities- Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus- unsure how far it is from any of those. I often describe myself as looking for that niche of being the 'writer who writes about writers' as not only to writers share stories, but they themselves have a story to be told by somebody. Sometimes they tell it themselves, but many times others tell it.
    At the comedy club tonight I saw a smaller crowd than typical but I think the Timberwolves basketball opener had something to do with it, as the game was on TV at the bar. The season finally began after a long labor dispute. One comedian friend said, when I asked if another comic was attending, that he was likely at home watching it. I responded by saying it was a 'manufactured' rivalry between them, since I can tell they are good friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment