Thursday, December 15, 2011

Young Adult

I saw the movie 'Young Adult' at the Uptown theater in Minneapolis earlier today. It was nice being able to get there for an early showing, since I had the day off from work. The story was good, something I understood well and was fairly familiar since it was Midwestern and took place in a small town. It was definitely a farce, but I didn't mind at all. I had seen some previous Charlize Theron movies, like 'North Country', about the Minnesota miners, and 'Sleepwalking', an arthouse movie. As usual, music captivates me. Two songs in particular stood out for me, one was due to it being by a Minnesota band. This was 'Achin to Be' by the Replacements. I knew very little about this band before moving here nearly 8 years ago, but some of the local radio stations would still play them and other local bands like Husker Du and Gear Daddies. The other was played during the introduction, 'Concept' by Teenage Fanclub. I ended up listening to both on Youtube. I also picked up a poster since there were some available at the theater. I had seen some previous movies done by Jason Reitman (director) and Diablo Cody (writer) like 'Juno' and 'Up in the Air'. Those were no doubt compelling. I like how Reitman is willing to handle social issues, he does it well.
   I did stay in for much of the day and got more cleanup done around the home, including shredding more junkmail or obsolete mail. I like keeping some billing statements for my own personal records, but after a while it is a good idea to free up space. So my trash can is definitely full because I was busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment