Friday, June 8, 2012

All-Reunion At Iowa Speedway

Went to Newton, Iowa, today to start my class reunion weekend. There are different events held in relation to it. For Fridays there is an 'all-reunion' at the racetrack, the Iowa Speedway, on Rusty Wallace Drive. It was hard to find classmates at first, as it was so crowded there. Some were on the patio near the seating sections outside. Then eventually I did see more, I was able to remember how
I knew all of them to my date. Surprised on some level how simple this was, just by seeing certain faces again. Hard to say who had the biggest impression on me, may have been the classmate who said we really appreciated the work you did for the football team. Another was the spouse of a teammate, who said I was 'an icon' in the town's history. But I'm no F.L. Maytag or Emerson Hough! Am I really that popular? It was no problem being modest, but I could have blushed or acted embarrassed if I wanted to. I had heard I was a 'legend' before, wonder if this is comparable, sure sounds like it. I was wearing an Emerson Hough shirt, some thought it was an old one but I had to tell them I ordered it online two years ago and I actually never attended the school named for him.
   We did get started on an ambitious list of things to see while in town, starting with seeing the Maytag Dairy Farm. I liked finding out there were other cheeses besides the blue cheese, it is just the best seller. My dad spoke of the 'edam cheese', he must have liked it. Speaking of my dad, I spoke of him a lot tonight. Many asked if I still had family in town, I said no. Dad left town shortly after he retired, since he had no real attachment to central Iowa. He went back to southern Iowa. He said 'I'm done' about six years after I finished high school, shortly after becoming eligible for retirement at full benefits. He had eligibility for 30 and out at the plant, due to being unionized. Left a business card for a classmate who has a wooden pallet business, he was at tonight's event. Found out a few others I had hoped would be there won't be. This included one whose mom owns the bridal shop where the class window display is. Even saw a classmate while looking at the display. We drove past the Valle Drivein Theater on the way into town. We also made it inside the Jasper County Courthouse and it was nice to see the displays there, like a plate with Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on it. I got some peanut butter crackers from a vending machine for 45 cents, real cheap compared to what I'm used to.
     The B&B we are staying at is nice, first time i've been in it. Had to tell one classmate how it used to be La Corsette, as he didn't recognize the current name of August Bergman Inn. I've seen a George Washington picture on the wall, and they informed me how August Bergman was an in-law of F.L. Maytag, and helped him with financial support to start the appliance company. I had found an online article that spoke of how he had married a Bergman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment