Thursday, June 21, 2012

Desiderata

When I had some down time at work, I thought about a poem I saw when cleaning the Nursing Building in college. I knew it started with 'Go placidly amid the noise and haste' but didn't know the title. So I searched it online and found out it is called 'Desiderata'. It is Latin for 'desired things', according to Wikipedia. I recall writing it down on a page that was in the recycle bin, as it resonated with me. Still does.
   A colleague, the 'theater guy' decided to get demonstrative when describing one story he had about the flooding in Duluth. He has a friend that took a picture of it that went viral. He has Viking horns on, brandishing a canoe paddle, while standing in a 55-gallon garbage can. There was 2 feet of water in the basement. the caption was 'They said Duluth doesn't flood, we're up on a hill'. Naturally when I think of floods, it would be the 'Great Flood of 1993'. President Clinton came to Des Moines, Iowa, to view the damage caused by the flooding. With one body of water in Des Moines, I exaggerated some about it, using a sarcastic tone. I said Walnut Creek 'floods whenever somebody spits into it'.
   I did one thing tonight I hadn't done in a while, and should do more often. I took a long walk, after watching a rerun of 'Big Bang Theory'. Good episode, Sheldon goes on vacation, sort of. I said at first I would walk all the way to the Superamerica. But I went even farther. When I did the Mapquest directions, I found out I walked nearly 2 miles each way! I had done walks like this before, such as when I lived in suburban Chicago. I would walk all the way from my home in Des Plaines to the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, about 3 miles each way. It helped to clear my mind, and I reminded myself I still needed to email a classmate about an Emerson Hough book they have. I returned a grocery cart to the store, and I picked up a little trash as well. It was nice to be so close to the car traffic, yet far enough way that I knew I was safe. What I like about these walks is being able to see things more closely, as one is going at a slower pace than if driving in a car. When I got back, a lightbulb burned out in my home. I've been slowly replacing the bulbs I have with the compact flourescent ones, I like how they seem to last much longer. But at this point I am leaving one of them 'vacant' since I can go to the store at lunchtime to get the replacement. So it won't be vacant for long. I've been moving them to the light closest to the front door, which gets used the most. This is the one I've been replacing most often, likely since it's turned on first.
   It was an 'eating out' night, as after work I went over to the Little Caesar's for my once a month visit for pepperoni pizza. Then after watching TV I actually went to the Dairy Queen first to use up a 2 for 1 coupon for Blizzards that was expiring at the end of the month. I've learned my lesson about freezing the one I don't eat right away. It helps to take out the spoon first, before putting it in the freezer. Hard to do after it's frozen. Then I went on the walk, which was still after I was done watching TV.
   I decided to look at an email at work today about my WOW points, how they would be expiring soon, at the end of the month. Well I didn't have that many, as I had ordered just two items. It was some movie tickets, and then a food gift certificate. I had just 150 points, it was enough for some index cards from Best Buy. But after I placed the order, it was canceled, saying they 'were unable to verify my information'. Seems unnecessary to have a fraud investigation over an item that costs less than two dollars, especially when I must pick it up at a store. But when I called the customer service line, they said an investigation was needed. It won't be mailed out to me, apparently since it's a small item. Didn't even have enough points to donate to charities like St. Jude Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment