Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Stonehenge And A Cotswold Wedding

I filmed with my video camera at Stonehenge on Tuesday. I didn't film for long as it was fairly cool there and was starting to rain. So there is just under 2 minutes of footage. I wanted to keep my hands warm so I was using just one to film. It doesn't look great, since the camera was moving around a lot. But you can hear my voice. We had to take 3 trains to get to the town, then there was a bus to take us the rest of the way. While in Salisbury we did leave our bags at a pub called 'the Cat'. We decided to eat there as well, before having to get back to the station. Though it took a while to get out food. The server, a barmaid, was overwhelmed as she was the only one there. It was a lasting impression for me, when she fell to pieces after saying 'sorry' since my date didn't have the silverware needed to eat what food was given, including a fried egg. I think the accent had a lot to do with it. We had to take 2 more trains to get to the hotel to meet the family for the wedding, a total of five for the day. My date's dad really wanted to hear about that. I guess it was a big deal, since it's rare on needing to make so many connections in one day. A few were cutting it close, arriving jsut as the train did. But in my book one is late only if you're not on the train when it leaves. On the last one, we had to stand at first, no seats. But I knew some may open up quickly, and they did. So we were able to sit after one stop. I like how the trains in Great Britain are efficient and effective. I'm not too impressed with Amtrak, especially when they have to yield to freight trains. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant, one employee asked if everything was all right. I said I just needed to stand as I had been sitting for too long. It was just the groom's family, as the bride was at a separate event.
   I also filmed at the wedding today. The ceremony lasted less than 10 minutes, being brief was fine. I got the lion's share of it, just over 6 minutes. I didn't get the bride going down the aisle, but turned my camera on shortly after. An umbrella partially blocked my view, we were given those as there was a chance of rain. Apparently there was no interest in moving indoors in case of rain, maybe due to it being a short ceremony. There were cows going by just beyond the gate, got a picture of them but I don't know breeds well. My dad would know, he was a farm kid. We were told there was a dairy at this place in the Cotswolds, the cows were going to be milked. I liked getting some ice cream after the ceremony, as there was a cart available for us guests. With mine I said I was fine with having a chocolate bar stuck into it, this must be a British thing. The food was good, there were multiple courses. I got a picture of the cake before it was cut. We were told the top tier was for show, just styrofoam. There was a spirited discussion during the dinner held after the ceremony between the vride's dad and groom's uncle. I did help out a little, saying Edison was a brilliant inventor but a horrible businessman. It was in reference to a Second World War discussion, saying America had more resources than Japan. The other was saying President Harry Truman played a role in the creation of the Israeli state, though the debate was about how much of a role, if at all. Nice how it didn't get too heated of course.  At lunchtime I ate at a McDonald's with my date's brother-in-law, who is from Britain. I was surprised at having to pay for ketchup, though it was just 5 pounds, so less than a dime. He said he does like American football and spoke of seeing games from the Metrodome on TV, doesn't like hockey much due to the fights. Liked how we found common ground, on liking the TV show 'Big Bang Theory'. He especially likes the Sheldon character.

No comments:

Post a Comment