Sunday, June 10, 2012

Maytag Plant 1 Marker

    We of course had to say goodbye to the B&B today, but I enjoyed meeting the owners and there is a chance of making it back more quickly than the next reunion in 5 years. It sounded like they would appreciate some more business. My date would like to see a race at the track where the all-reunion was held. I haven't seen a race there yet, it hasn't been open for long, just a few years. I have seen part of the Iowa Corn 250 on TV on ABC, it is their flagship race apparently. Liked reading some of the coffee table books there about Newton's history, though some were published a while back. It gave me more ideas about what to get pictures of on my next visit, as it listed where the Maytag mansions are in town. I found out there was more than one. But there was an article saying one was demolished many years ago.
     Before leaving town we went over to the former home office for Maytag, and looked at the quick history of the company given there on the wall. It started with the first washing machine, the Pastime, in 1907, and ended with the Neptune, in 1997. We also found a marker for Plant 1 when deciding to go to the other side, near the community college known as DMACC. I don't think it has been there for that long. We picked up some Maytag cheese as well, Muenster and Blue. The 5-pound bag of ice lasted the entire drive back home.
     We stopped at Valley Junction in West Des Moines, where I had lived for a year and a half after college in Iowa City. Many of the antique dealers were there with outside tables. One had some autographed pictures of magazine covers, including Stan Musial and Ted Williams. Both are baseball players that received the President's Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. On to the Maid-Rite in Ankeny, and after this there was just one more stop, in Clear Lake.
   Even though I was wiped out from the traveling, I really had no choice but to go get laundry done after getting back into town. Saw a woman who said her daughter played pro football here, for the Minnesota Machine. I had just heard of the Vixen, as one of my fellow comics played for that team. When I spoke of her name, her daughter said she had heard of her. Also made it over to get groceries. I have already accepted a Facebook friend request from one classmate that I saw at the reunion, he was an 'ex-Monroe' classmate, in reference to where I first attended elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment