Friday, June 22, 2012

Tandem Bikes

I saw two tandem bikes when I was walking from Gabe's Bar to the Saints baseball stadium tonight to get tickets for Saturday's game. I like how I'm finding the time and energy to do this much walking, as I had been out of this routine. Haven't tried to ride a tandem bike, I know there was a song called 'Bicycle Built for Two'. There was one in a Muppet movie, 'Muppet Caper'. And Norman Lear's production company was called Tandem, doing pioneering shows like 'All In The Family'.
   When I got back to Gabe's, the College World Series game was beginning, Arkansas vs. South Carolina. Arkansas did take an early lead, 1-0 after the first inning, but South Carolina went on to win the game, 3-2. I liked how Arkansas was using 'little ball' effectively, with stolen bases as well as bunts and a sacrifice fly, but it just got them a 2-0 lead. South Carolina took advantage of the walks, as the go-ahead run was on a bases-loaded walk in the 7th. I am still very much a student of the game, usually being able to look at box scores and determine why one team won and the other lost. It has been simpler in football and basketball, but in baseball I keep hearing how walks play a role in it. When the Twins played at the Metrodome there was a graphic on the video board that said 'walks will haunt!' after the opposing pitcher gave up a walk.
  The annoying thing was how ESPN, which televised the game, kept running their crawlers constantly during the game. It was breaking news about the verdict in the case involving ex-Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, convicted on 45 of 48 counts of sexual abuse. But after a while, I felt like saying 'We already know this'. Based on what the news was saying, it is likely going to be life imprisonment. He's currently 68 years old, and the minimum sentence is 60 years. No surprise in seeing how an appeal is likely, as there's nothing to lose. This is common in high-profile cases like this one.
   I am thankful I found the time to get around to seeing the game, it hadn't worked out in my schedule any earlier. There was a computerized jukebox there, I did have one song played but no money was put in. I know it said 2 credits for one dollar, maybe there was a credit left. I first heard 'Only Make Believe', hard to tell if it was by Elvis Presley or Conway Twitty, as both had performed the song. Then I heard 'Telephone' by Lady Gaga, which pleased me. When it was my turn, I chose 'Perfect' by Pink. There were some older people near it, and I did hear 'play something good', from a gray-haired man with a mustache. He said he didn't like songs from people he hadn't heard of. I think this is one way of saying 'I'm old'. One woman was fine with hearing Pink or Eminem, this man seemed fine with Johnny Cash when I suggested it. But all I played was Pink. I did check to see what they had for Eminem, I liked seeing 'Real Slim Shady'. When I got home I had to hear some Eminem songs, so I went to Youtube and selected 'Need a Doctor', 'Lose Yourself', and 'Beautiful'. I know I've written about 'Doctor' before but it still like how personal it is as it's written about his mentor, Doctor Dre. 'I owe my life to you, you breathed life into me'. Still very powerful senitments to me, and I know I'm not alone. There had already been over 130 million viewings of the video on Youtube. Not everybody may understand why I like the music of Eminem, Pink, and Lady Gaga so much. Those who know me best know my struggles and it seemed to offer some more comfort to me than other music could. It reminded me how I am not alone, and was not alone in these struggles in the past. For too long, I thought I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment