Saturday, June 2, 2012

Paddington:The Bear and the Train Station

This is the first full day in Great Britain. First time for me seeing British pounds, didn't get much for the 7 US dollars, just 4.36 pounds. It was enough to make a call to my companion's brother and get a chocolate chip shortbread cookie at a sandwich shop called Upper Crust at the train station known as Paddington. There was about 20 pence left on the quick call, after putting in 2 pounds, but nothing was refunded. I'm keeping the remaining 1.36 as souvenirs, so it meant they went right into my bag so they won't be spent at all.
    There is a souvenir shop in the station for items related to the Paddington Bear children's book series. I think I've just read one of them, can recall the bear having a note attached saying 'please look after this bear'. There is also a bronze statue, and we got a picture of it. We did have dinner with the happy couple at an Italian restaurant near their flat, which is what they call apartments here. I'm getting used to hearing 'mind the gap' on the London Underground trains, though it still sounds funny to me. I was informed 'to let' means 'for rent' here. It makes sense, since I've heard of subletting an apartment. It makes a world of difference on the usage of words.
   I saw the outside of the Tower of London, would like to go back to get a tour in. They had closed for the day. I am tired, which is expected from the jet lag. But who thought it was possible? I'm finally doing the Europe thing 20 years late. Although that was a class trip to France I couldn't afford then, instead of Great Britain.
     I did learn some things while at the Tower, like the artwork in an underpass to the gift shop. There was mention of how a wife of King Henry the 8th was imprisoned there. Also some mention of William the Conqueror. Don't know much about him, but a college roommate mentioned him before. Something in reference to his influence on the language. The monarchy appears to go back to his time. I mainly know what I was taught in 2 classes from college, covering the three centuries from Henry VIII to George III.

No comments:

Post a Comment