Monday, June 4, 2012

Danny DeVito in 'Sunshine Boys'

Went to a play tonight in London's West End, saw Danny DeVito in 'Sunshine Boys'. My date said the co-star was in the 'Harry Potter' movies, haven't seen any of those. It was a comedy and it made me laugh so it was a good one, worth seeing. Some of the pop-culture references may have been lost on some, like the Ed Sullivan show. It went off the air a while ago. But I know it was a prominent show for a while, many musicians had their 'coming out party' there. I like Neil Simon plays quite a bit, such as 'The Odd Couple', though I haven't seen it as a play yet. But I liked it as a movie and TV show.
   Liked seeing some food there, since we didn't eat dinner before the play. I got some Carlsberg beer and Pringles potato chips (or here they call them 'crisps') along with Cadbury 'Caramel Nibbles', which made me think as well as laugh. Liked getting a hot dog at Herman Ze German before getting on the train back to the hotel.
   Earlier in the day we made it over to get pictures of Big Ben and Parliament. Also did a tour of the Ben Franklin home. My date thought it was in bad taste when a member of the tour group was trying to 'school' the tour guide about Franklin, I agreed. It would be one thing if the guide wasn't competent enough, but the guide was quite knowledgeable. Liked seeing a glass harmonica, which he invented. Some played it when invited to do so. Apparently it is the only home he lived in that still stands, as his home in Philadelphia was demolished. The postcards I bought there say so. We found the US Embassy, and noticed the state flags there are in order by statehood. In a park across the street, there was a statue of Franklin Roosevelt along with a 9/11 memorial. It said there were 67 British citizens killed that day.    
    In the afternoon, we went to the British Museum where we saw the Olympic medals display. I found a suitable Olympic souvenir from this year's games which will be held in less than 2 months, a luggage tag. I likely needed another one when I had to take one off a bag I wasn't going to be using for this week and put it on my suitcase. Also got some Olympic postcards, including of the 1948 Games, the most recent one held in London. It was nice finding Piccadilly Circus, looks like New York's Times Square. We did this before the Franklin home.

No comments:

Post a Comment