Sunday, August 5, 2012

3M Golf Tournament in Blaine

I went to the 3M golf tournament in Blaine, which is in the northern suburbs, with my date for much of today. First time at a golf tournament for both of us. We followed one 3-man group of golfers on the first 9 holes, which included Craig Stadler. Liked his golf club covers, walruses as that's his nickname. Then we had lunch and followed some other golfers for some of the back nine. This included Bernhard Langer and Tom Kite, both previous winners of this tournament. The news, after the Olympic games tonight, said Langer went on to win the tournament. Somebody yelled something after one tee shot by Langer, didn't know what but it may have been in German as Langer is German, from Munich. I of course knew Tom Kite from being a guest star on 'The Simpsons'. My date bought a hat and had 11 golfers sign it, as they signed autographs after the 18th hole. We did plenty of walking today from one hole to the next, which was fine with me. I really haven't been doing enough exercise lately, and walking is a simple form or exercise.
  There were many things that reminded me of being in Blaine before, some of course were likely purely coincidential. I haven't been to this suburb much, and the one other time was for the Twins fanfest. It meant getting parked and then taking a shuttle as well. But this one was a different venue, so it meant parking at the regional airport. The buses looked just like school buses but had 'school' covered up as they didn't have school bus privileges like having to stop and yield for them. It didn't take all that long to get there, it goes quickly as much of the drive is on 35W. Merging onto it reminded me of a Geggy Tah video 'Whoever You Are', from the 1990s. There was some footage from the 1970s in the video. But also familiar was all of the concrete from the roads and overpasses in it, some extensive road projects.
   When I got back in the evening I knew I needed to do laundry. After doing so I noticed one shirt had some small holes in it, so I ripped it up and threw it in the trash. It was one I got for the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life event in 2003, when I was living in suburban Chicago. Also notable was looking something up after watching the Olympic games. I noticed during a medal ceremony how the British national anthem, 'God Save the Queen', had the same tune as an American patriotic song, 'My Country Tis of Thee'.

No comments:

Post a Comment