Thursday, August 2, 2012

Banjo and Harmonica

I was a performer at a show in Minneapolis tonight, and one performer after me played a banjo and harmonica. I like these 'lab shows', doing some entirely new material. I did a set about the differences between the 2 Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis. It seemed to go well despite minimal rehearsal. There was also a big 'pat on the back' session onstage at the end of the show. I had hoped to get a small Godfather's pizza at Bobby and Steve's but there was just the hot ones, which cost more. I still got a can of watermelon juice and a Nature Valley bar.
   I had a colleague tell me they were willing to pick up the silent auction item that I had the winning bid, some baseball game tickets for next month. She said she would be going to the event in Eden Prairie, while I did not. It was nice that they were willing to offer. I have been there before, but it can be a long drive and it would likely mean having to make up more time- something I already did this week due to leaving early yesterday. Still trying to get a full bridge walk in at midday, but I did a partial one today. Liked seeing the artwork built into a city/county building, as I recall it depicted what made the city great- things like law and order, education, abundance, transportation, and commerce. Likely another thing I need to get pictures of, already did this at a park nearby where there's a repeating pattern including the man known as 'Pig's Eye'. This was the city's original name before becoming St. Paul.
   Yahoo News tells me that Gore Vidal has died, I think of how he was known for writing history books like 'Lincoln' which became a TV-movie. Mary Tyler Moore played Mary Todd, Lincoln's wife, in it. I'm not sure if he was a member of the American Historical Association, as I am a member. It would make sense if he was, but it's hard to say if he would want to attend the annual meetings I've been to as he would probably get mobbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment