Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dubuque to Valley Meadows

I began the day in Dubuque, Iowa, staying at a Motel 6. We had breakfast and went to the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, my third time there. I got a rubber ball and a postcard of the welcome sign, seen from the main road. Wanted to be careful on souvenirs, trying to avoid getting what I already had. There were some specially made baseball cards, but I wanted other things more. I would expect they would be specially made, or replicas, as it was of Moonlight Graham. It was nice to run the bases and get a picture at home plate of my St. Paul Saints hat along with my glove and a ball. It was a reminder of getting a similar picture in St. Louis at the former Cardinal stadium.
  We made it back to the Twin Cities around 5pm, after stopping in Decorah again for lunch. Then again in Rochester for fuel and I needed a break from driving as I was tired. I took care of an important chore, doing the laundry, then made it over to Minneapolis for the Valley Meadows CD release party in Uptown. I saw a girl with many tattoos outside who was explaining what was on the wall inside. The artwork looked like skateboards or snowboards, eventually I was told they were 'longboards', meaning skateboards that were not for stunts. It was a long show, had to leave during the headliner as it was late and needed to get groceries and get up for work in the morning. I still saw more than 30 minutes of the headliner's act. I got the CD, and the acts before the headliner were notable. There was somebody singing about S and M, and had a beard with no facial hair on the chin. Then there was the band with a frontwoman that had an erotic song about VP Joe Biden. Next was a song ranting about Cosmopolitan magazine. The headliners were entertaining, doing raps while one of them has a suit on and said he was a sub-teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment