Sunday, August 26, 2012

US- Dakota War Exhibit

I went to the Minnesota History Center and saw the US-Dakota War exhibit in the afternoon. Also went to see the WPA art exhibit. My date and I liked many of the paintings in the art exhibit, especially the one of a baseball game. With the war exhibit I had heard of many of the specifics before, but it was still helpful to see it. The exhibit did cover a few things I hadn't seen much of before like some of the events leading up to it. I had been familiar with the New Ulm part of it from attending Oktoberfest there. Markers about the war are all over the downtown area. I did get one souvenir, a postcard of the town of New Ulm in 1860. Aside from this there was little besides some books on either subject. This included one I already had, but I was pleased to see it nonetheless. It was 'Forts of the Northern Plains', by Jeff Barnes. It covers 3 forts in this state: Snelling, Ripley and Ridgely. All of them were a part of the war, even if it was indirectly.
  In the evening we went to Genghis Grill in Eagan, a place I like but hadn't been to in a while. I like being able to make your own dish to eat. Then I read a souvenir program my date had bought at the Field of Dreams last week. I figured it was best to read it at my date's home right away as I had no idea how long it would take otherwise. And there was too much of a chance it would have been damaged from being stuffed into my backpack trying to read it on the bus that I take to work. Didn't want to take that chance and be asked to replace it. Nice program, it covered many subjects I enjoyed reading such as W.P. Kinsella- the author of the book that inspired the movie. There were some imperfections, a few obvious typos. But I know well enough to go by the sum total.

No comments:

Post a Comment