Friday, August 3, 2012

Kemps 1% Lowfat Milk

I had been working on the little milk cartons in the breakroom this week. It meant having way more milk than typical as I like drinking it better than water at lunchtime. Also didn't want to see it go to waste.
  Just needed to take a short break to shut some windows as it looks like a storm is rolling in. Let's see, I even had some of the milk despite eating out today. When I left the office in the early evening there was six cartons left. I am sure there were others who liked having it available. I have one of the cartons next to me as I write these words. It reminds me of those I saw in school, as they are small at 8 ounces. Seeing 'homogenized' on it reminds me of being in school, as I recall one classmate asking the principal what 'homo' meant on the carton. It was shortening the term of course, and he didn't want it if it was referring to 'homosexual'. Kids can be cruel and narrow-minded. I think he once accused some of being 'homo' which was meant to be derogatory.
  I like seeing the carton, as there is plenty of color on it. Mainly white, with black lettering, but also some yellow sections especially where it says 'Kemps 1% lowfat milk'. On one side is a cow, and the picture seems to say it's ready to speak. Kind of like the commercials they once had where their ad campaign was 'It's the cows' as to their secret. One time they did a joke about ice cream, saying New York Vanilla came from a cow with graffiti all over it. Besides the milk, also notable at work was taking bronze with my partner on office chair races so I guess I am getting a free lunch at some point. They called it 'rowing'. The theater guy was an event coordinator and told me a story about a friend who was a military pilot. He avoided an international incident with a Russian flyer by saying 'hey little girl, do you want some candy?' in Russian.
   I went to Canadian Days tonight in Little Canada, a town I once lived in. I got there near the end of the corn feed. I chose an ear that had some burnt kernels on it but I still ate it. Then I got a chili dog later on. I had planned to stay an hour and leave but stayed an hour longer as eventually I was standing next to a man who wanted to talk music while the band was onstage, and of course I was fine with this. At first we spoke of drummers, as I identify with drummers as I often was the 'forgotten guy in the back'. A notable thing was getting out all of my buttons from previous years, 8 in all dating back to 2004, my first year in the Twin Cities. It can be fun to bring those out and do comparisons from one near to the next, as well as when they were held as usually it's the first weekend in August but sometimes the last weekend in July. I recognized many of the songs played, like one was the Beatles song 'Saw her standing there' as it was in a favorite movie of mine, 'Rain Man'. They did the Everly Brothers more than once, one of them was 'Wake Up Little Suzie'. I heard 'Rock around the clock' by Bill Haley and the Comets as well. I do plan on making a return visit this weekend, and this time I will hopefully remember to take my button with me so I don't have to buy another one. This is what I had to do last year. Maybe just pin it to my denim jacket like the others, which has 4 on one side and 4 on the other along with the little 'Keep calm and carry on' button I got in Great Britain. When I was walking back to my car I saw a kid wearing a shirt with this message on it. I liked being able to shake hands with the band's frontman when he came around to mingle with the crowd before the intermission.
   Other notable things was reading about Olympic athlete Michael Phelps getting a call from the President as he is now the record holder for most Olympic medals. This doesn't happen much, i did see the footage when the President called Pete Rose when he broke Stan Musial's National League record for base hits in 1981. Presidents are also known for inviting World Series and Super Bowl winners to the White House. Tonight, 'Nightline' on ABC did cover a British story about phone boxes, getting attention due to hosting the Olympic Games.
   The breaking news tonight was a fatality at the Mall of America, when a U-Haul truck hit a support beam in the parking ramp. I think it's safe to say that some comedian will do a joke about it, since jokes have already been done about the 35W bridge collapse and the Metrodome roof collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment