Tuesday, August 21, 2012

'Two Princes' by the Spin Doctors

At the comedy club tonight I heard the song 'Two Princes' by the Spin Doctors, a flashback to my college days. It was played before going inside to see the show.
  It's also a reminder of a classmate wanting to drive around in a Snap-on tool truck owned by his dad, who sold the tools. He liked being able to use the truck, even though it was horrible on the gas mileage. We once sang the song in the back of the truck.
   After the show I was fueling and heard 'Closer To Fine' by the Indigo Girls. It serves as a nice reminder of moving to the Twin Cities. I heard it on the radio when driving the U-Haul truck to the area. It went well onstage tonight, I did some jokes about being in Great Britain, as well as attending my class reunion a few days later.
   I hadn't heard any Spin Doctors songs in a while, but they did have some hit songs. I recall 'Little Miss Can't Be Wrong', which was before 'Princes'. They performed 'Little' on Saturday Night Live. Also notable was a cover of a CCR song, 'Have You Ever Seen the Rain', which was for a movie soundtrack. It was for 'Philadelphia', starring Tom Hanks. Still haven't seen the movie. I have one of their CDs, I recall the art included in it was a scene of a phone booth. Proof of how long ago it was done, as phone booths are way less common than they were due to the popularity of the cell phone.
  With the Indigo Girls, I didn't know their music for a long time. But I know 'Fine' is one of the few songs of theirs that would get airplay on the radio. I do like how moving to the area means I am exposed to some music I may not have heard otherwise. I think some of it was due to one radio station playing some of the older alternative music, then known as 'Drive 105'. But they switched genres since then. I bought a few CDs, albeit older songs, due to the airplay, including Minnesota bands like Husker Du and the Replacements. But of course local bands are likely to get more airplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment