Thursday, August 9, 2012

Safe-Edge Can Piercer

I did another bridge walk at lunchtime, and on the same bridge. There are two downtown that I can choose from. I thought it was odd to see the same 'church key' there on a ledge. So I decided to pick it up as it intrigues me. It says it is a 'Safe-edge can piercer'. My dad had these things when I was a kid, apparently this was the time when beer cans were opened this way. I am used to seeing pull tabs, not just beer cans but also soup cans as well. Since I once had a big cut on a finger before due to handling a soup can I do prefer safer cans or trying to be more careful and learn something from this lesson. What I do now is stick a rag in the can when washing it so there's a buffer zone. I am big on risk management since I once worked in life insurance so this is one way of practicing it.
    Not sure what I will do with this tool just yet. Sometimes I write about something or take a picture of it and then toss it in the trash. But if I find out I don't have one of these things just yet then I should keep it for the long term. I have put it away in a drawer where the silverware is, along with other kitchen tools I have. i know some of those tools I don't use much, but I like having them anyway. And of course this item is in good condition and I didn't pay for it.
   While taking a walk in a park this evening I saw a young man relieving himself but trying hard to hide it. I felt like telling him I could see him. If he wanted to hide it better, I would have suggested doing so next to a tree. Also saw a man who was wearing jeans where the belt wasn't holding everything up in the back, as a belt loop was broken or missing. But I didn't say anything to him either.
   Before doing the bridge walk, I decided to stop at the bank and ask them to put me on their 'do not solicit' list. I liked how it didn't take long to do, just a few minutes. Part of the time was just waiitng until somebody was available to help me out. The night before I was riding the bus home from work and was checking my messages on my cellphone, but left it on for a few more minutes. Sometimes I shut it off right after checking messages. They were trying to sell me AD&D insurance, and once they were done with their pitch I said I knew from working in life insurance how they love to sell those kinds of policies as they hardly ever pay out. I knew well enough to be diplomatic with who was helping me, and I like knowing how it means the mailings as well as the calls will end. I said I would run the mailings through the shredder. If it means the mail volume drops more, then it's fine with me. There are some days where no mail arrives at all, and Monday tends to be the highest volume as there is no mail delivery on Sunday. One thing that contributes to this trend is reducing the number of magazine subscriptions. The Sporting News canceled it for me, now online-only according to the Wikipedia page. Then I did an evaluation of my magazines about writing, there were four. I kept the one that publishes more, once a month, and let the others expire. I just didn't read them enough. Other magazines I get due to memberships I have like with non-profit organizations.
   I got another Canadian penny as change tonight at the convenience store. It prompted me to look at the others I have. This one was an anniversary edition, 1967, as this was the centennial. I have another one from an anniversary year, 1992. There are 12 in all. One was attached to some masking tape, and said it was found on 4/28/84, at Charlie Brown's Barber Shop. I was young then, and at that age I hadn't seen many, especially in small-town Iowa, a state that doesn't border Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment