Tuesday, August 28, 2012

State Fair Buttons, Comedy Buttons

It was my company's 'team building outing' at the state fair. I made the most of the day as I expect it to be the only visit to the state fair this year, due to my busy schedule. I got some buttons at the fair, some I paid for and some I bought. I've decided to empty my bag of souvenirs to be reminded of what the highlights were.
  We begin with the Spam exhibit. I got a can of Black Pepper Spam, I liked having it last year so I wanted some again. Then we have the toy bus, in the shape of a can. Even the top of the can/bus looks authentic, with what looks like a big pull tab. Another item of course was the ticket stub. I have two pocket schedules, both were for hockey. One is of the Minnesota Wild, the other the Gophers college team. The Gophers are playing a showcase game at Chicago's Soldier Field in February. Will have to see if the logistics work on attending it, as I do like making an annual visit to the area.
  I have some stapled forms from work, one has a map of the fairgrounds. Others had the scavenger hunt rules on it, and the teams as well. When I arrived I was switched to another team right away, which was fine with me as I had a favorite colleague as a teammate, a 'long lost twin' of a college roommate. There was a map for the fair's History Walking Tour, with two more stops included compared to last year. They had these big signs pointing out landmarks, they look like those big wooden real estate signs planted in the ground when a house is for sale. Before leaving to get on the bus, and right after leaving the office, I passed by a 'physical medicine' establishment serving cake for their grand opening. I picked up a brochure. I had been there once before, but it must have been other different ownership.  
   When I went to the comedy club tonight, I got two more buttons. One of my fellow comics saw my 'I love history' button and I said I was at the state fair. After a brief delay, he gave me two buttons advertising his shows like on podcasts. I didn't know what he was doing at first, but I guess he had to go back to his seat and find them and get them out of his bag. I was thankful to get them as I do like buttons quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment