Friday, August 10, 2012

Jack Welch

I got mail from a school I hadn't heard of, Strayer University. As I write I am looking at the one flyer I haven't shredded yet, it speaks of the Jack Welch management institute there. I recognize the name, he was CEO of General Electric, now the CEO is Jeff Immelt. I saw mention in the mailing about Herndon, VA, and the business reply envelope would have went to Rockville, MD. I know the latter is the Washington, DC, area. The Wikipedia page spoke of it being a 'for-profit college' with many satellite campuses and founded in Baltimore, MD, apparently. It is now based in Herndon. But I don't see myself going back to school right now, hard to afford it. Thankful my student loans were paid off years ago.
   Next thing I have here is a bronze medal. The closing ceremony for my employer's Olympic games was in the afternoon, shortly after the final event. This was billed as an equestrian event, but it meant riding a 'bouncy ball' which can be hard on the knees. A few competitors decided not to do the entire course and just started running to the finish line midway through. Some made a big deal about me wearing the medal for the rest of the day. Well, why not? And it wasn't that long, just two hours until the end of the workday. Some were uanble to attend the medal ceremony, as Friday is a popular day to be out of the office. More to follow about the lunch I earned from being a medalist, hopefully not on a day when I already have something planned. There are a few of these coming up, one of them is next week.
    I wrote down a few things on an envelope, one of them was a John Wooden quote I saw on a dry-erase board at work. 'Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do'. Another is from the theater guy. He said he had been electrocuted 8 times, engulfed in flames before, and was deaf in one ear for a year and a half. He isn't all that careful. He really summed it up well. I still think he should write a book about his adventures. I'm thinking some of these may have happened at the Tough Mudder event he did earlier this year.
   The final one was on the bus. There was an old man wearing an Olympic hat and a suit coat, plastic framed glasses, a mustache, and he kept grunting. I felt like asking if he was all right, as he didn't sound like it. But he got off the bus before my stop just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment