Monday, August 13, 2012

Get a Vice

At the comedy club tonight, I heard one comic say to another that they needed to get a vice. Don't know what caused them to say this. I know she did say to him she wouldn't be taking up smoking, as her mom had lung cancer. Also memorable was getting into the elevator today at the end of the workday. Somebody said into their cellphone 'he shot him and the kid died'. Didn't want to inquire further as to what it referred to, as it was none of my business. I was asked if I was picked to go onstage tonight, when I said no I said I am thrilled to take the stage whenever picked. I am pleased that some notice me onstage and recognize me for doing well. It has helped me with being more gracious when receiving compliments, how a simple 'thank you' is enough.
   One fellow comic sent me a link to view a video he made on Youtube. It looked like an exclusive invite, which makes me feel good about being in the loop. I let him know on Facebook how I liked it. He decided to do a parody of the opening sequence of the 'Mary Tyler Moore' show. It was very well done. I noticed he wasn't driving a vintage Ford Mustang, guess it must not have been available. It was a Nissan Altima instead, he told me. Naturally a similar car would have made it look more authentic. Other scenes showed him at comedy clubs I recognized, ones I have been to myself. Hopefully he gets some rewards and recognition for it. I guess one has to do promotions like this to stand out from the rest. Other things included going to the Walker and walking by the 'spoon and cherry' sculpture. As expected, it ends the same way, with him throwing his hat in the air like Mary did, in front of the Mary statue on Nicollet Mall. It reminds me of what my dad said about the show's introduction: throws her hat in the air in downtown Minneapolis, 10 degrees below outside'. Or was it 12? Either way, it was real cold. It comes as no surprise how I got to see more of it in syndicated reruns on local TV since moving to the Twin Cities. It eventually prompted me to get some episodes on DVD, I got the first two seasons on video from a Target store.

No comments:

Post a Comment