Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Purple Shirts and Sanding

For the first half of the workday I was actually at Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis doing a volunteer event. It was related to getting a classroom converted to a creative writing room. Early on I was given a purple volunteer shirt, and helped with moving some soft chairs from the loading area on a cart. Eventually I went to the woodshop and sanded down the drawers so they could be painted. Since I value my hearing greatly, and found out there was no ear protection available (and didn't bring mine that I use for concerts) it was best to move there where the sanders were smaller and less noisy.  There was breakfast available, lemon loaf was the name of what I ate if I'm not mistaken. Also had pizza for lunch, from Fat Lorenzo's. I had a slice of pepperoni as well as sausage. Some said they wanted to see the finished product, but when my employer does plenty of programs at this school I am thinking there will be chances to do so in the near future. As expected, I didn't know many of the people there, though I did know the event coordinator from other Roosevelt programs. We had music on while working, and the radio station kept saying they would be broadcasting the Twins baseball games next season. There was something on the evening news about how the agreement had just been reached.
   When I bought a fruit bar when the dessert cart was going around at work, one of them said they thought I was 'gone', meaning for all of the day. I know half days are rare to take, but I had one available and I was fine with just using this much time for the event.
   At the comedy club tonight, it was raining as I was leaving and I didn't want to go out in the rain at first. Eventually I spoke of a rain song, 'Here comes the rain again' by the Eurythmics. One comic did a joke about being so fat he broke a chair at last year's state fair.  

No comments:

Post a Comment