Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Take This Job and Shove It

One of the show runners left the comedy club early tonight, before the show began, saying she had a migraine headache. After getting a drink, I claimed my seat in the crowd and the club owner asked if I wanted stagetime tonight. I said I did, and it went well with the fairly new material- on the search for Charlie Brown and Snoopy statues. I felt tired after the show but still found my way over to a Walgreen store to get a CD I had ordered of pictures I had wanted to add to my Facebook page.
   Just saw a clip of the TV show 'Dukes of Hazzard' on Youtube where Johnny Paycheck was the musical guest at the end of the episode. It of course was his number one hit 'Take This Job and Shove It'. When he died that was the main thing mentioned on the news when covering his biography. Having grown up in Iowa I was quite familiar with the song, as it inspired a movie of the same name which was filmed in Iowa. As a kid I often got it confused with another movie around the same time period, 'Urban Cowboy'. I understood why. There was 'Star Beer' in 'Shove It' and there was 'Lone Star Beer' in 'Cowboy'. I called it a 'Texas version' of the other movie, but of course it wasn't. 'Shove It' mainly took place at a brewery, and 'Cowboy' at a bar where there was a mechanical bull. My dad liked making jokes about the bull.
  I was reminded of this movie being filmed in Iowa, after there was mention of it in the 'Field of Dreams' program I had read recently. I didn't care much for the Martin Mull character in the movie, but he has often played unlikeable characters like later on in 'Mr. Mom'. It was my main memory of seeing it before.
   I did learn something about the song from Wikipedia, how it was also performed by David Allen Coe. He apparently was the songwriter as well. We all know how songs get remade, or covered, all the time. Sometimes the later version is more well-known.

No comments:

Post a Comment