Saturday, August 11, 2012

Monk Fish

I eat oatmeal for breakfast on most days, and on the packets there is trivia. One of these said monk fish was known as the 'poor man's lobster'. Wonder if this in any way inspired the character name on the TV show 'Monk' that I like watching in syndicated reruns when I have the time.
  The plans today called for having lunch with a college friend and his wife. Except when I got to the place, an Applebee's in Apple Valley, it was just my college friend. He said his wife was in Ohio with the kids visiting her family. It was nice seeing him, first time in a while. I gave him a 'support the troops' magnet I had won at a Veterans Day event at work. Since he's ex-military I figured he could find more use for it, especially when he works at the VA hospital at Fort Snelling. I know this place is a light-rail stop, seen it from the train before. I had a skillet of New Orleans-style food, it was sizzling when it arrived. Notable was how it was a last-minute thing on deciding where, I responded to an email saying I was at the library printing things and didn't bring my cellphone, so I would have to wait to respond with a call. But thankfully it all worked out in the end. He said he was still busy when his wife was out of town, seeing how some remodeling was going at his house. We also briefly spoke about another roommate of ours, the physics major that works at a super collider in New Jersey. I had called him recently. The afternoon was one of the few times available for us as we had an event planned for the evening. Since it was a bar mitzvah he made a joke about how there were circumcisions done inside the synagogue.
   It was the first bar mitzvah I had attended, and the first time at a synagogue. The things in English I understood no problem, but not all of it was in English. Reading from Psalms was familiar, as I had done this at church. I knew some books in the Torah are also in the Bible. I learned something about the guest of honor while there, how he had become certified as a swimming lifeguard, which is impressive. Also notable to me was something on a bulletin board, since Fonzie was on it. I don't know all of the Hebrew or Yiddish terms used, but it looked like an advertisement for a youth group. After thinking about it for a while, it kind of made sense to use Fonzie for it since Henry Winkler, who played him, is Jewish. I knew this before hearing Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song as my dad often told me about Winkler's background.

No comments:

Post a Comment