Monday, October 20, 2014

10,000 Laughs Festival Volunteer

     I left work an hour early to get to a training event for the 10k laughs comedy festival. I was told by the bossman that I was way early, though I went by the time I was given by the volunteer coordinator. Since the customer entrance to the venue was unavailable at the time, we went down the 'Employees Only' stairs. While waiting I saw the magic man arrive, and we both had Arnold Palmer drinks. He figured leaving $10 on the table would be good enough, but I decided to take it directly over to the server who said leaving it on the table wasn't good enough. I helped with folding shirts and tagging them by size, eventually I got one of them along with a pass that I am still wearing around my neck. Closer to the start time of the show, it was time for the evening meal and eventually I decided to go across a viaduct on University Avenue in Minneapolis where I found a Jimmy John's sandwich shop. I was eating it and got a picture of it while walking back to the venue. Good show all around, I didn't know all of the performers though. Two acts were from Chicago, one was a sister act and a co-headliner with the rap/comedy act known as Valley Meadows. I said this was the reason why I decided to be a volunteer this time, as I wanted a shirt and to get in free to shows like this one. I really got in to the Meadows act, which included the song 'Do the Paul Reiser'. Other performers tonight included the roller grill comic, the preschool teacher, and the 'Extra murder' comic. I did see the big dog near the end of the show, and we briefly spoke, then I went back to my seat, a chair I brought down from the bar on the upper level. I liked being able to say hi to so many other comedian friends there. I said to the bossman when I got back with the sandwich how 'The place is hopping'. It was why I said I am thankful I am working the festival this year as this was a great opening show.

No comments:

Post a Comment