Thursday, October 30, 2014

Allure Magazine, Marilyn Monroe

     After watching the prime time episode of 'Big Bang Theory' tonight I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. One of the items I picked up and put in a plastic shopping bag-since it was trash- was a copy of Allure magazine. I saw what looked like Marilyn Monroe on one page, apparently as an ad. I tried to find the cover, but after flipping through it I couldn't but it said it was Allure magazine in a corner of the page. Also notable among the trash was a hubcap from a Ford car. Then there was cardboard boxes, one was for Rainbow apples from Washington State and the other was Millville. The latter is a brand name from the Aldi grocery store if I am not mistaken. As usual, I liked the exercise I get from the walk, as well as clearing my mind and the photos. The final one I got was from the post office, some of their vehicles. I had to step back some as being at night the eagle logo sticker had too much glare on it. I made it back home shortly after 'Sherlock Holmes' (aka 'Elementary') had started. The 'Big Bang' episode made me laugh, as it was about a man who was interested in Penny and has plenty of sci-fi collectibles that the guys like. They are locked inside by the man, but could care less as they enjoy all of the video games and such. The syndicated rerun was about Sheldon refusing to go to a family event with Amy Farrah Fowler. It led to Penny coaching Amy on how to make a scene.
   I had a weird internet dating experience. One match asked me if I had cheated before, I responded by saying it was too soon to ask, as we hadn't met yet. I asked the same question, the answer was no. My dodging of the question 'Spoke volumes' about me, according to my match. I didn't take kindly to it, and promptly closed the match. I shared this on Facebook, saying I had hundreds of matches previously and it was the first time I got the question. I saw it as a no-win situation as if I said no, I run the risk of my match not believing me. I did get some responses right away after posting. One was from the resistable comic. It said that says more about the match than me, there was likely some unresolved issues. I do have a coffee date lined up with another match this weekend now.
   I liked being able to get caught up with various things I had written down. One was reading an article that Mason City sent to me about his favorite comedy albums. I had to admit how I knew just one of the five, it was Mike Birbiglia as he was in the movie 'Sleepwalk with me'. Another item was liking a page on Facebook, the Ramsey County haunted house or 'Fright farm'. I did this so I could find my photo from visiting the haunted house nearly a week ago. I tagged it and shared it on my own news feed. Still another item on my list was looking up some concert information after seeing an email in my Hotmail account. It was for Anna Nalick, but I found out the concert is on a weeknight in November and not that close to the Twin Cities. It will be in Marshfield, WI, which is about 160 miles away. I might enjoy the experience of writing about it, but it is hard to justify the use of limited resources to go there.
   At work the political science guy spoke in favor of labor unions, but I had to remind him of how we are not unionized. As a whole, I haven't heard of many cases where office workers are unionized. He also got disgusted about having to take a customer service call where the caller wanted to talk about things like the weather, which had nothing to do with the business at hand.
   The United Way campaign continues at the office. Today there was a 'Garage sale' but much of it was items the company had given us before, so being asked to pay for them in the name of charity was a hard sell for me. This included office- appropriate shirts, at one point they were called 'Spirit wear'. There was also books, but I prefer reference books and most of them were novels. There was even pairs of socks with the company logo on them. I haven't bid on anything yet at the silent auction. One item up for bid was a pink teddy bear, nobody has bid on it yet. Two items just added were 9-hole rounds of golf. I may want to bid on it, provided the price doesn't go too high. Again, it would be nice to have the experience as it is something to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment